I am a Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) in Natural Language Processing in the Computer Science Department of the University of Sheffield. Prior to joining Sheffield, I was a SICSA Senior Lecturer in the Department of Computing Science, University of Aberdeen. My research is centred around machine learning, natural language processing, data and text mining. Currently, I am particularly interested in the development of algorithms and models for sentiment analysis, text summarisation, natural language generation, and cognitive inspired context learning. For more info, please visit my group page.
*** A fully funded PhD studentship is available. Contact me if interested. ***
- Area Chair for EMNLP 2021 (Language Generation track)
- Senior Program Committee member of IJCAI 2021
- Senior Area Chair for EMNLP 2020 (Language Generation track)
- Area Chair for INLG 2020
- Associate Editor for Neurocomputing
- Programme Co-Chair of the 12th International Conference on Natural Language Generation (INLG), Tokyo, 2019.
- Lead Guest Editor of the Special Issue on Natural Language Generation in the Elsevier Computer Speech and Language Journal.
- PhD in Computing, College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences, University of Exeter, UK.
- MEng (First Class Honour) in Electronic Engineering, School of System Engineering, University of Reading, UK.
- BEng in Electrical Engineering and Automation, School of Automation Science and Electrical Engineering, Beihang University, China.
- CIKM 2020 Test of Time Award for the work on “Joint sentiment/topic model for sentiment analysis“
- International Division Champion (Team Sheffield) of the 2020 China Collegiate Artificial Intelligence Innovation Contest (Team members: Xutan Peng, Guanyi Chen, Jinghui Si; Supervisor: Chenghua Lin)
- SICSA supervisor of the Year 2019 Award Honourable Mention (I was one of the five recipients for the whole of Scotland)
- Best Paper Award Runner-Up in the 12th International Conference on Natural Language Generation (INLG), Tokyo, 2019.
- Best Paper Award in the 22nd International Conference on Natural Language & Information Systems (NLDB; 17% acceptance rate for full paper), sponsored by Springer, 2017.
- Principal’s Excellence Fund, University of Aberdeen, 2014.
- Merit Award for outstanding individual contribution to the research unit, Knowledge Media Institute, The Open University, UK, 2012.
- Informatics Research Institute (IRI) prize for the best PhD student, University of Exeter, 2009
Potential graduate students
I am looking for highly motivated PhD students interested in Machine Learning, Data Mining and Natural Language Processing. Any inquires please contact me directly. (Apply Now!)
Journal Reviewer for:
- Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research
- IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering
- ACM Transactions on Internet Technology
- Computer Speech and Language
- Neurocomputing (Elsevier)
- Data & Knowledge Engineering (Elsevier)
- Knowledge and Information Systems (Springer)
- Information Science (Elsevier)
- Frontiers of Computer Science (Springer)